Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Take a shot and jump in the pond...

I just recently jumped in to sock knitting, seeing as how I joined Socks That Rock. But I have been too scared to start those socks and potentially ruin some very gorgeous yarn. This weekend I got the itch, said what the hell, and knit 1 perfect pink sock. I only had the yarn enough for one and my sweet 2yo snatched up and proclaimed it hers. Which led to me grabbing more yarn and in 3-4 hours having her a matching pair of socks, which she loves!



So knowing I could do it and trying 2 different techniques out on those 3 socks (toe up, short row heel and top down heel flap) I felt confident I could do ANYTHING!

Being that I had gotten the most incredible black rainbow handpainted sock yarn a few days ago (with some matching black yarn for toes/heels) I swatched. I never swatch but I didn't ant any mistakes on these socks.

After endless searching I found the pattern for this yarn. Shimmer Socks would be great! I followed the directions, thinking from the moment I cast on that this was going to be too big for my foot. But I knit on. I ended up with a toe cap that was 3 inches+ long and at least an inch too wide, but still I knit on into the pattern for the foot. After 3 row repeats I tried it on and nearly cried. It would never fit me! Maybe a man with wide feet but not me :(

I looked at my husband, tears in my eyes and said plainly "I need a shot of tequila" as I slowly, carefully stitch by stitch, ripped out my days worth of knitting. I sat there just looking at the curly pile of yarn, Tequila burning in my stomach. Heaved a deep sigh......and cast on again. My way (crazy 8 CO) to what I felt would be a more reasonable size for me. Now to decide if I try to flub the pattern to fit me or do a regular ol stockinette sock. The yarn is so gorgeous it really does all of the work. The pattern was really just to keep me interested.

I think I'll wait until tommorow to decide.

No comments: